We are still involved in various financial and contractual details, working with our attorney and with our general contractor. As soon as some important details are finalized, we will be able to determine when we need to move out of the building.
We can't answer the questions of "when?" yet, but stay tuned!
However, we can now give you an update on prospects for a convenient and welcoming location for Sunday morning activities. Initially we explored possibilities at various schools in Lafayette. none was ideal and some dropped out of consideration for scheduling reasons or inconvenient layout.
No we think we have found:
- Warm, welcoming landlords, with a space designed for just what we do.
- No need for elaborate Sunday morning setup such as schlepping chairs.
- RE space designed for kids - classrooms and a playground.
- As well as a sanctuary for our Sunday service.
- This space includes: a fellowship hall, kitchen, and some storage space for our materials.
- A good-sized parking lot.
- A Location close to our own property for convenience of our members and friends coming from all surrounding areas.
- Flexibility on start date.
- Significantly lower rent than was being asked by the school district.
So where is this place? And what factors do we need to consider with this decision?
It's the First United Methodist Church
on Centaur Village Drive, just down South Boulder Road from our Fellowship.
Rev. Lydia, Robyn Rathweg for the Building Committee, and Ellen Saunders Duncan for School of the Spirit met with their pastor and a member of their board of trustees. The Methodists were warm and welcoming and eager to share their space with us.
Here are a few adjustments that we would have to be willing to make during this temporary time away from our own building:
- Because of the Methodists' own Sunday use of the building, we would have to adjust the time of our service and social hour.
- Perhaps our services would start at 11:30 AM or noon.
- Or, maybe we'd hold our social hour at 11:30 AM followed by our service at 12:30 PM.
- We would also have to resign ourselves to seeing a cross above the altar. We suggest taking it as a symbol that is meaningful to our gracious hosts although it does not define who we are as UUs.
In related news, we think the prospects are good for renting office space again at Office Evolution in Louisville.
Please bear in mind that these are not yet firm rental agreements. We are announcing these prospects because we promised to keep you informed.
Key leaders of our various Sunday morning activities have reviewed the idea of meeting at First United Methodist and are supportive.
Talk to members of the Board and Building Committee if you have further questions or ideas.